An Overview of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is one kind of cancer that starts in the lymphatic system, which is a component of the immune system that fights germs, is. White blood cells known as lymphocytes grow abnormally in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and can cause growths, or tumors, all over the body.
It is a very common type of lymphoma. This category includes a large number of subtypes. Follicular lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma are among the most prevalent subtypes. Hodgkin’s lymphoma is the other general category of lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma are of two main types, indolent and aggressive. They cause symptoms such as drenching sweats at night, swollen lymph nodes, fever and fatigue, unintended weight loss, pain in the chest, abdomen and bones, skin rash and itch, etc.
Diagnosis of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
The diagnosis and staging of non-Hodgkin lymphoma are done with tests that look at the lymphatic system and other body parts. Apart from conducting a physical examination and inquiring about your personal and family medical history, your physician might also carry out the subsequent tests and procedures:
- Complete blood count.
- Lactate dehydrogenase test.
- Imaging tests such as CT scan and PET scan.
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.
- Blood chemistry studies.
- Lumbar puncture.
Treatment of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in India
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma treatment in India includes several approaches such as:
- Chemotherapy – It is a type of cancer treatment in which drugs are used to either kill or stop the growth of cancerous cells.
- Radiation therapy – High-energy X-rays and other radiation therapies are used in radiation therapy to either kill or stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy – It makes use of the patient’s immune system to combat cancer. The body’s natural defenses against cancer can be strengthened, directed, or restored with the help of substances produced either in the lab or by the body.
- Targeted therapy – Drugs or other substances are used in targeted therapy to target and destroy particular cancer cells. Targeted therapies for non-Hodgkin lymphoma include kinase inhibitor therapy, proteasome inhibitor therapy, and monoclonal antibody therapy.
- Plasmapheresis – It is used to remove excess plasma and antibody proteins from the blood if they thicken with excess antibody proteins and impair circulation.
- Antibiotic therapy – Drugs are used in antibiotic therapy to treat infections and cancer brought on by bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Surgery – In some patients, non-Hodgkin lymphoma that is aggressive or indolent may be removed surgically. The location of the lymphoma in the body determines the type of surgery that is performed
- Stem cell transplant – It is the process of replacing blood-forming cells destroyed by cancer treatment with new ones after receiving high doses of chemotherapy and/or total body radiation. Immature blood cells, or stem cells, are extracted from a donor’s bone marrow or blood or the patient’s blood, frozen, and kept in storage. The patient receives an infusion of the thawed stem cells following the completion of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. The body’s blood cells develop from these reinfused stem cells and are replenished.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma Treatment Cost in India
The average Non-Hodgkin lymphoma treatment cost in India typically starts from USD 1800. Generally, India is known for providing cost-effective medical care, and this extends to cancer treatments as well. The expenses for non-Hodgkin lymphoma treatment in India are comparatively lower than in many Western countries, making it an attractive destination for medical tourists seeking high-quality healthcare at affordable prices. Treatment options for non-Hodgkin lymphoma in India typically include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and stem cell transplantation. The overall cost may cover doctor consultations, diagnostic tests, hospitalization, medications, and supportive care.
Factors Affecting Non-Hodgkin lymphoma Treatment Cost in India
Several factors contribute to the variation in non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) treatment costs in India. Common factors are:
- The type and stage of the cancer – more advanced stages often require more intensive and prolonged treatments.
- The choice of treatment modalities – different approaches such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, or stem cell transplantation, also influences costs, with certain therapies being more expensive than others.
- The reputation and facilities of the healthcare institution – For example, premium hospitals may charge higher fees for their services.
- The involvement of specialized medical professionals and the use of advanced technologies can impact overall expenses.
- Geographical location within India – metropolitan cities generally have higher healthcare costs than smaller towns.
- Individual patient factors – such as overall health, comorbidities, and the need for personalized care.
- Patients who think of having non-Hodgkin lymphoma treatment in India need to consider these factors and engage in open discussions with healthcare providers to understand and plan for the associated expenses effectively.
What Makes India A Better Choice For Treating Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
India emerges as a compelling choice for treating non-Hodgkin lymphoma due to a combination of factors. Foremost is the cost-effectiveness of medical care in the country, where high-quality treatments are often available at a fraction of the cost compared to many Western nations. India boasts a robust healthcare infrastructure with accredited hospitals and experienced medical professionals specialized in oncology. Moreover, India’s renowned doctors and medical staff are often trained and certified internationally, ensuring a high standard of care. For those seeking cost-effective yet top-notch medical interventions for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, India stands out as a favorable destination, providing a balance between quality healthcare and financial considerations.
How Can BMT Clinic Assist You In Your Treatment Search?
If you are a patient looking for doctors, hospitals, and specialty care, you can rely on BMT as a trustworthy resource. We will decide which medical options are most appropriate for you. Based on your medical needs, our staff will provide you with a list of respectable, certified, and reliable hospitals and physicians. We will also give you a treatment plan that is within your budget. In addition, we assist patients with a range of other issues, including acquiring travel authorization and medical visas.